Thursday, June 26, 2014

Happiness...It's Your Choice

Happiness is a choice. If you want it, it's there. You can stay where you're at if you aren't happy and suck it up. You can mirror any terrible relationship you are familiar with. You know those. Maybe it's your parents, your best friend's parents, or the neighbors. Who ever it is, you can have that.

We can all stay in whatever because we have kids, cars, an address. We have a routine. I get it. But unhappiness can be such an ugly monster. It can actually make you feel ugly and take you. It can break you down much like a wrecking ball on a piece of property.

In my ugly unhappy life I was so concerned about everybody else but me. I thought everything would collapse if I should leave my routine. Little did I know that my foundation had already collapsed. I was there, unhappy, because I didn't know where to go.

While I was in the midst of my unhappy life I called a friend to catch up, a guy who is younger than me and who I've known for 30 plus years. He told me to come over because he had something to tell me. I was curious what he had to say so I hurried over. Thinking it was anything else but what I was about to hear.

When I got there it was an intervention. Not one with several people in the room, just me and him. He proceeded to tell me that he didn't recognize me anymore. He said it broke his heart that he couldn't remember the guy he once looked up to for so many years as a kid and teen. He told me to run. Run? He said, "grab one plate, a set of silverware, a lawn chair and run as far away as possible. Find your place somewhere else and find Michael Anthony Quijas." He said, "if you don't then there's a great possibility that you may end up lost forever." I looked at him with confusion.

I knew what he was saying. I knew it for a long time but I needed someone to tell me. I needed someone to say what I was feeling inside because hearing it from someone else's mouth resonated more than what my own mind was telling me. Run before it's too late.

Well I ran two months later and haven't looked back. The family didn't collapse and everyone is doing great. More importantly, I am the happiest I have ever been. I feel I got back whatever I had lost. I feel good about myself and I love me again. So again I tell you that you have a choice. You can be happy or unhappy it's all up to you. I chose happiness and I have to suggest it to anyone straddling the fence. I thank you Brian Donigan for telling me what I needed to hear! I am so thankful for friends who will tell you what you don't always want to hear!   

No comments: