Thursday, May 1, 2008

Willie Wilson...


I had lunch with the legendary Kansas City Royal Willie Wilson this afternoon. I am helping Willie with his 3-day charity event happening on May 31st thru June 2nd. The event takes place at the T-Bones Stadium, Community Ballpark. It includes an old timers game or as he calls it, previous All-Stars. There is a dental clinic, and golf tournament as well. This event will benefit The Children's Miracle Network. Our appointment was at 11:30 but Willie called me early in the morning as I laid in bed and moved it to 11:00. I laughed when I hung the phone up because it was Willie calling me, Michael Quijas. If you are reading this and don't know who Willie is, well then you're too young and that's too bad because he was from a period where Royal baseball ruled!

Willie was a Kansas City Royal's baseball player for fifteen plus years. He was and is so wide known to us older people because he was baseball and the Royals. Our team back in the 70's & 80's was awesome. The majority of players stayed for years and we were tough. I can remember having a team that was always in contention for a championship. Willie said it was because of the owner at the time. Mr. Kauffman.

I listened to his stories and came away from the conversation with the understanding that he was part of more than a team but was part of a family. He was a part of a baseball family headed by the owner. Although baseball is a corporation and ran that way, it also has leaders. Leaders can lead with a strict hand or leaders can be part of the growth & equation. Call me crazy but I relate everything to what I'm going through. I lead my family and I'm leading a business. Both can be done with strict guidelines where no one wants to stay long or you can do it with understanding and compassion. Some say I wear my emotions on my sleeve but that is me. I know from experience that things can change so quickly and unexpectedly that I must be ready to adapt. Being a leader is not writing checks or just talking the talk but living it with your players. I might not have hit any home runs or won any championships but I am playing the game. It is called life and I so want to succeed!

No comments: