Sunday, May 4, 2008

Suspenders and ugly ties...


It is noon on Sunday and I'm lounging around the house. Kaylee is sleeping and Christian is playing ball in the neighborhood. Kaylee got out of the house for awhile last night. I stayed in and had a night with Christian. Tammie joined Kaylee to a friends house so they could watch their son while they went out with friends.

I gave a speech Friday to Central Missouri State University students. It was part of a Tech Conference and I got the invite to talk about being an entrepreneur. It was an honor. I was nervous but talking in public has gotten easier for me. I truly think that I could give a speech to a stadium if I was asked. I use to black out and forget what I said. It was like I couldn't hear my words. Today I'm conscious when I speak, if I was only 40 lbs. lighter then I'd be a force to deal with. Look out Matt Lauer.

When I'm around other people like me, entrepreneurs, I size myself up. I say that not to gain sympathy but I'm being real. It's like being an athlete and scouting the room for talent. Whose your competitor and how do they conduct themselves? I'm not saying I want to confirm to a certain mold but I'm different. We all want to have people invest in us as a business but more importantly as a person. I know guys who can get money strictly off their name and reputation. I have to fight for a dime because I've never ran in the same circles. The guys who were at CMSU Tech Conference with me were more established. I say that because several had sold companies in the past for millions and here I am. I have my own sizzle but I didn't have their style. That's not bad by no means. I just didn't seem like them.

I always reflect back to San Diego, CA. These guys that I knew who owned businesses there wore flip flops and shorts. Sure I might not be talking guys running financial accounts and investments but guys who had business that allowed them freedom. Surf shops, retail clothing, and a variety of other things that had them making their own rules. I sometimes leave these functions in my crappy Hyundai or Jeep while the guy next to me departs in his Mercedes and I always sense that maybe just maybe I should sell out to their style because I might arrive quicker. But I like being real. Is my being real impeding me and my advancement. Do I confirm to suspenders and ugly ties? Who knows and I guess we'll find out where I end up soon!

No comments: