Thursday, May 8, 2008

2 Hold Outs and a Smile...

I can't tell you how great I felt today. Besides Kaylee having to go to CMH for blood work this morning, I had a great day. I was happy and I was productive. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I hardly ever get mad during my day and I feel I treat everyone fair. I laugh a lot and generally have fun doing whatever it is I'm doing. I want to be the kind of person I'd want to be around. I sometimes get around people and I want to leave as soon as I get there. Misery can be contagious if you're not careful.



I gave a presentation at 11:00 am at the Bernstein-Rein Advertising office this morning. There were 9 employees from the media department waiting for me in the conference room. I took the seat at the head of the table and did my thing. I think that the speeches I've given over the last year have really helped in my cool and calm department. I use to get really nervous but I've figured out that you need to stay cool and calm, and never act as if you're out of breathe.



I always pretend like I'm the boss. The old saying was "pretend everyone in the room is naked" but I just pretend that I'm the big guy who calls the shots. Crazy? Well it works for me. I envision everyone wanting to be me! Try it, it works. When I talk about my product or service I imagine that I am sharing financials with stockholders. When someone from the crowd makes eye contact I pretend I'm going to offer this person the employee of the month award. It works.

When I arrived this morning for the meeting I was feeling great. It wasn't because I was going into a meeting with 9 different personalities, or because I was going to try to sell myself for an hour. Misery! It was because I had a moment right before I walked in the door, I thought how lucky I was I to have so many people waiting to talk to me. Silly but who would have thought that you could create a product and demand attention. I was going into a room full of people wanting to hear about this thing they call InAd TV! My dream, my creation, my morning.

Out of the 9 people in the room, I only meshed with 7. The two hold outs were not my personality type. The others were receptive. The last two kept their distance and their smile to themselves. Well I did my thing and ended my presentation and threw in some personal advice. I told everyone to smile during their day and enjoy life. They knew I had a child fighting cancer because someone asked me to tell them a little about myself. So I did. I think that these mothers, fathers, and ad people related when I suggested that they smile. If I can smile having a sick kid, then anyone can. They smiled and said thank you. I finished up the presentation with a funny story on how Bernstein-Rein Advertising and I got introduced. The story was so funny that everyone in the room including my 2 hold outs started laughing. It was only a matter of time before I had 9 out of 9 ad exec's laughing and smiling.

Well I'm out of words, and out of time, but I'm not out of breathe!

No comments: