Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Combination...

We were so excited for this morning. It was our first baseball tourney for the season but it was called off due to the weather. I was ready to get the season going. Eighty degrees on Thursday and snow on Saturday. Who would have thought?

I never know what to expect. I've come to terms that so many things are out of my control. Snow? Cancer? Blood? It is what it is, you have to continue and plan for the unexpected. At least we have each other to count on for support. Having someone in your corner is powerful. I hate to think that there are people out there doing life alone. Family, friends, and community are so important.

I received a hair cut yesterday from a friend who has been cutting my hair for years. As a matter of fact he gave Christian his first hair cut. I've been friends with him for many years. He disappeared last September. Gone. Well it turns out that he was on parole for a Federal crime he committed years ago and had a relapse and ended back up in prison. Wow! I couldn't believe it. We talked about free time. He said free time to him usually equated to trouble. If he didn't keep busy he had a tendency to spend time with people that usually would drink and do drugs.

He would go out and drink at bars because him and his girlfriend were having trouble. He would find what he thought were friends at bars & nightclubs. These people would often offer him things that were illegal and he would do it. He didn't blame anyone but himself. He did say that having nothing to occupy him usually meant that trouble would follow. We talked about how scary it would be to live in an area ravaged by drugs and crime. We both agreed that it is easy to follow the lead of others sometimes. Most of the time if you don't watch it you can be trailing the wrong person or people. Sometimes you have to kick and scratch to make a change in your life. It doesn't make sense, to think that you would complicate life even more by introducing bad habits and dark avenue's into your life. Life is hard enough.

I encourage everyone to find passion. It is healthy to have passion and an outlet. An outlet to take your mind off things. I promote doing things that work your mind, body, or both. I find writing easy to do. I love to write. It can be done with paper and a pen. I can sit down and escape for a moment. It is more convenient then finding fossils in rocks. It is more accessible then tracking the Monarch Butterfly. Writing is my release. I find that I have a healthy past time and one that doesn't require much.

Have a good day! I am going to drive to the gym now and try to get into the habit of exercising so I feel better physically. The writing is mental and the weights are physical. Not a bad combo if I can keep it up.

No comments: