Friday, December 7, 2007

Perception...


During the day you come across people you know and those you don't. I'm not judgemental but I look at how people carry them selves. If those people are with kids or a husband I observe more then I did before. I love to see healthy relationships. I appreciate family.

Some people might present themselves in public like they have no worries or like they're on top of the world. Others wear their emotions on their sleeve and you can tell that somethings not right. A mixture of personalities and a range of demeanor's. Everyone has a story. I'm nobody when it comes to an authority on human behavior but I'm an expert on reality.

I know that that person driving a $50 K car could be in a relationship that is filled with lies and cheating. The beautiful couple at the little league baseball game could on the verge of collapsing financially. That trophy wife could be having five affairs. On the flip side, you have a guy pulling weeds waiting for the clock to hit 5:00 PM so he can drive his 1978 Buick home to his happy family. A family that doesn't hinge on big money or fancy cars, but love. Happiness is what you make of it.

I know several families that from all appearances have everything. A life you think you might want. But it's not what it always seems. Unhappiness is an ugly emotion. Money can pacify you to a certain point but we all long for love, a healthy relationship, and a best friend. My mother and step dad have a friendship that has been the topic of conversation for 25 years. They are friends, family, and mates. They love each other and I admire their happiness. My mom told me once that she and Dave make it a point to listen to each other and all they have to say about their day, the week, or the future. She said that they are best friends and if he has something to share then it's her job as a best friend and lover to listen. I've been there before with Tammie and tuned her out. I want to watch my TV program or I just didn't have time. I wasn't participating. How many times have you done that? Well I'm here to say that it's a lot easier to have a bad relationship then working at a good one.

I want to love and appreciate. I look at our Christmas Tree and think how many holidays I've had with my team, my family. I grasp that investment and I want more. I want to be a great dad, a great mate, and a best friend. The grass isn't greener, it is hard work to have good relationships. My battle these days has all my focus. That focus includes harmony in my household. When we are here there isn't bickering or fighting. It is comfort and family that takes the day.

I mention this topic today because most of us take things for granted, we did. Petty issues and insignificant matters could spark hostility or resentment. Money would be an issue and personality sometimes clashed. I can truly say that those things are silly. If you are ever hit with sickness and sorrow, I guarantee you will think about all those precious moments in time that was wasted on matters of insignificant importance.

So my advice for you is to love the day, love your family, and love your partner. Be aware that trauma can strike at any time and your team, your family is all you have. Everyone might love you or your kids but at the end of the day everyone disappears and goes their separate ways. They go home. It is you, your family, and the love in the home that really matters. Love the one you're with... (can you name the artist or group?)

No comments: