Monday, December 10, 2007

The Happy Mullet...


I'm writing a story tonight about a mullet. I've seen mullets before and I've joked about the mullet. My kids swear I had a mullet of my own in the eighties, but I'm not sure we called it a mullet back then. Although I see the similarities. The story I share tonight deals with the infamous hairdo and the man I saw sporting the cut.

I was pulling into QuickTrip the other day and I saw a shiny new truck heading my way. I was positioning for a gas pump so I ended up next to the truck. I look over and see the biggest mullet I've seen in years. The hair is cropped short in front with the flowing length in back. He had a hat on, a military cap. I was feeling a little emotional on this day and it made me take notice. I admired this guy.

The hair looked as if he brushed it out several times. It was immaculate. I visioned this guy combing it out in front of the TV for hours. Each stroke I could hear him say, "Now this mullet looks damn good." I know I sound goofy writing this story but it is real. I was amazed at his pride. As he drove off I caught the back view of his pride. I say pride, it was so long and the classic mullet, you couldn't help but be proud if you were the owner.

It wasn't the mullet that I admired but the guy wearing it. He didn't or doesn't care that there are websites designated specifically for the hairdo. He was proudly wearing it and took very good care of it. Again, I recalled as a kid my mother brushing out my sisters hair while we watched TV. This brush with the mullet made me think of individual style and personal taste.

I so appreciate those that walk to their own beat. Life is too short to worry about what others think. I believe that those people who worry or make decisions based on others don't realize that you end up by yourself at the end of the day. So at the end of the day, it's you looking into the mirror and it's you taking care of whatever hairdo you've chosen. Most people are quick to point or criticize but if you look deeper, like I do, you recognize the person and the beautiful individuality that make each of us different. It might be a mullet or it might be sickness that opens your eyes. Whatever the case, remember that its a gift to have an open mind and it's even a bigger talent to look past the mullet and see the person wearing the mullet.

No comments: