Sunday, December 9, 2007

Shaking Hands...


It is Sunday afternoon and cloudy. It is also cold and slick outside. I don't know if it's the long hospital stay combined with the bad weather, but I'm bored. Kaylee is resting and feeling better. Her chemo sickness is wearing off. I am grateful.



We haven't done anything, like the majority of Kansas City, because of icy streets. The weather has been really bad but cleared on Friday so we could go home. I went to the gym this morning and I'm heading for coffee at Starbucks with a friend in an hour. I'm not the fancy coffee guy but I need some advice from this friend.


I am negotiating a contract and it is out of my element. I've tried to assemble a team of individuals that are good at different roles. When I negotiate I find that people like to try to make me feel inferior. This doesn't effect me, because I'm the founder of this company and most people I deal with are working for someone else. Not that there's anything wrong for working for someone else, but when you're negotiating with me and mine, I take that into consideration. I prefer to stay away from the negotiations and delegate that part of the business to others. I thought I had people around me that could handle this side of the business but they're coming up short. I am focused on my daughter and assumed that if I started the dialogue someone on the team could wrap it up. This particular contract will greatly benefit my company and my family. I have to take over the talks.



I don't wear fancy suites or keep time with an expensive wristwatch because I'm in the trenches with my business. I install, transport materials, sell advertising, and climb around ceilings. I work my business twenty four hours a day. I'd like to say that I don't have to work, and I pick out a new suite weekly but that isn't the case. I wear several hats, unfortunately negotiating contracts is one. I might not be the most talented debater or negotiator, but I give it my best. It goes back to the saying "If you don't swing the bat, you can't get a hit" I'm not sure if that's the saying, but you get the drift.


I start TV channels. I put them in the restrooms were you can play sound. I can do my thing in restaurants, nightclubs, theatres, arenas, stadiums, hospitals, office parks, and entertainment zones. I create, develop, and maintain the network. I'm one of the only companies in the U.S. doing this. I have an open market. I can team up with cable or billboard companies in every city who have the advertisers and revenue to make this a gold mine. I'm having trouble finding the right team to solidify the deals so I can launch in my next markets. What to do?



Well now that we are out of CMH, I can focus and work on this business. I am having a ribbon cutting at our newly built office this Thursday at 4:00 PM. I am so not ready for it, but I'll slap the smile on and shake hands. Wish me luck!

No comments: