Thursday, November 29, 2007

Unexpected Detours...


I'm sitting in the hospital. The good old fourth floor. I never thought that I would be a regular on the fourth floor of Children's Mercy Hospital. This moment in time will come and go but it will be remembered for a life time. There are times in life that we can go back and remember our first day on the job, a whirl wind romance, or a new place to live. The common thread with each of those is the unfamiliar day. Something different. A new routine. Each has a memorable element to it. Once these things become routine, they become old news. I'm not sure this will be routine or old news.

This is new and old at the same time. It has a traumatic taste to it so it has us on the edge of our seats. We are up then down. Our days can go into a tailspin, or soar high. As I sit here and watch my child struggle it never gets easier. The dry lips, bald scalp, and deep medicated sleep are a strong reminder that we have sickness at our steps.



Today I looked at Kaylee and then I looked at Tammie and told her that I would have never predicted that we would be sitting next to our beautiful daughter as she fights for her health. If you would of told me that we would be hairless at fifteen and eighteen pounds light, I would have lost it. I sometimes lose it when I think about the pain it has on Kaylee. I use to think about the pain it would have on me, but now that it is our reality, it has nothing to do with me. The hurtful thing is Kaylee.


Unexpected detours have emerged. We are traveling the road to recovery. Its amazing how resilient the human body and spirit is. We were blind sided but we have managed to get to our feet. Our steps have slowed but I expect to be jogging through life again. If you are ever hit with a condition or with bad news, remember that the shock only lasts a short time. It's what you do and how you respond that is most important. We are sitting next to our little girl as she takes this detour, we didn't pick this road but we'll navigate through it as a family.

No comments: