Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Rx…



My phone rang at 5:04 PM tonight. It was my sister Kelly and she had an urgent tone. She said Kaylee needed medicine and I had to be at a pharmacy by 6:00. It took me by surprise because we had already picked up medicine yesterday. Kelly told me that her nausea meds weren't working and she called a family member who happened to be a Pharmacist and suggest a cream that wouldn't have to be swallowed.




Kaylee hasn't eaten since Friday, five days ago. The doctors let us take her home but didn't explain what we were supposed to do about her medicine. If she can't eat food, she's not going to eat pills. Her little body is so sick from the chemo that she has to have medicine to battle the vomiting. No medicine no protection from the sickness. We found a solution with the cream.




I arrived at 5:50 and I think they knew it was me. I said I'm Kaylee Quijas' father. They handed me the cream and it was still warm. They are a compound pharmacy. They can mix different meds where as our pharmacy doesn't. New to me.




The hand off from them to me was relief. I had that little something in my hand that can make a big difference in our fight. I started crying. Yep, I start crying as I pay the bill. These people at The Medicine Shoppe have no idea that they are giving me something that can ease the pain and sickness of the most beautiful soul in Lee's Summit. Kaylee's little lungs and heart are breathing and beating, but are doing so with much sickness and pain.




These kind people do their job and it probably becomes so routine that they forget that there is a story behind every handoff. I guarantee that they drove home tonight and realized that they do much more then just make a transaction. Their actions and talents had a grown man in their lobby crying and sincerely saying thank you. If I can give a little peace and care to my daughter then my job and day ends with no regrets.



No comments: