Saturday, October 6, 2007

Home Coming...


It is Home Coming weekend for us. An exciting time for high school kids. Kaylee would normally go to the parade, game, and dance. But she didn't today, instead she hung out with me. Tammie took Christian and some friends to the game. Kaylee spent her time grocery shopping with me.


Kaylee didn't want to go to the festivities today. She said it wasn't her day today, and she wanted to stay home. Last year she rode on the float, in her cheerleader uniform, and threw out candy with a wave. A year later and she is laid out in bed, thinking about things. I feel for her.

It is your hopes that your child grows and blossoms in high school. We wanted Kaylee to make friendships, form relationships, and become her own. She has! It happened even quicker than we thought. She's well known, in tune with herself, and knows what's important. Unfortunately, it was expedited through an ugly disease called cancer.


I suspect that today was painful for my baby girl. All the hype was about the parade, the game, and the dance. To be excluded because of the situation is painful. But our priority is health. We can't let emotions get in the way. That is the part I hate. As a parent, I want to get emotional over it. I want to fix it. I want to take Kaylee to the game, drive her to the party, or let her ride with the girls to the dance. But I can't. She has to heal and get better.


High school years are supposed to be filled with making friends, making memories, and making her way. Instead we are focused on blood counts, platelets, and making appointments. It makes you realize that there are a range of different high school memories. A child that struggles making friends, a child making Home Coming Queen, or a child making plans to attend the parade, game, and dance next year.

So we're sitting this day out and setting our sights on next year. It's her choice. It's her memories. It's her reality. I just want to get this period in our lives over with, learn from it, and move on. I'm here for everything and anything. If it's a game, parade, dance or a simple visit to the grocery store. No matter what we're dealt I'm going to provide entertainment one way or another. Unfortunately, it just happened to be a simple visit to the grocery store tonight. But we'll set our sights on next year.

No comments: