Friday, September 14, 2007

SIX FOR FOUR


Today is the big day. Football for a girl who has done nothing since June 21, 2007. Excitement.

But I want to share a story. Sometime around June 21-30 my baby girl needed platlets. I'd like to give you an exact definition of what it is but it has to do with blood. So it is 12 am and she needs it badly. So we waited, and waited. I asked where are these platlets? They said, the nurses, that the bag of platlets were in St.Louis. They would be dropped by Helicopter or State Police. Never was a big fan of cops but whatever. Always kind of scared me, radar,tickets, a hard time.


Sometime around 4 am they mysteriously arrive. In a big town hospital the nurse wouldn't have much info but being in Columbia they are more hands on.




I asked how did they arrive? He said that a Highway Patrol drove 2 hours-4 hours round trip with lights on to get them there. I cried. This man or woman, who just like us, started his shift and unknowingly got a bag of life for Kaylee Marie Quijas. He drove hours for someone he didn't know, not his daughter,neice,nephew, or cousin but my kid. I have so much respect for these people who do things most of us would never think or should have to think of. Thank you!





Back to the football game. All week Kaylee has been so excited. But let me tell you the preperation it takes. Today just to go Kaylee has to go to Mercy Hospital and sit there for 6 hours for blood and platlets just to go. Her day will be occupied for hours just so she can enjoy one night, maybe 4 hours. I admire her and Tammie, and I admire those Titan football players because we're going to get a win for Kaylee tonight. But next time you see a blood bank, please donate because it might be your kid sitting for 6 hours for 4 hours of fun.

No comments: