Saturday, September 22, 2007

Good Morning West Virginia...


I wonder if my daughter wakes up and thinks this has all been a bad dream. I usually go in her room before I leave in the morning to say good bye. She is always sleeping so I kiss her head. It is such a pretty head. I'm not just saying that either. Yesterday I thought how cute is that head. Her body was completely covered with a blanket except the very top of her head. I gave it a little peck and out the door I went.



When I was a child and an adult I had a way of "getting picked". I was always the one who got picked in a room when they would say "would someone come up to help.....?" When I was 22 I was picked on the Price is Right, ouch. I'm not kidding, I could be in an auditorium with 2000 people and someone on stage would say, "Hey you-can you come on stage for a moment."



This Leukemia is one stage I'd rather not be on right now. The principle and me were talking at the game last night. I thanked her for everything she has done to make my baby comfortable and for the seamless transition from in-schooled to home-schooled. But I don't want to be talking to the principle, the counselors, teachers, or hallway monitors . I'm not being disrespectful, sorry, I just want to blend in. I've had enough attention to last a life time. But the Quijas calling was yelled again. This time it wasn't Bob Barker saying "come on down Michael Quijas" but the cancer calling "Kaylee".



"Hey Rod-tell Kaylee what she's won! Well Bob- Kaylee Quijas is going to spend countless days in the hospital, she'll be stuck with so many needles that they will surgically put a port in her body so her veins won't collapse, she'll consume more pills in two years then a normal person will take in a life time, and for the real kicker Bob-Kaylee might not make it!"



Kaylee is and will make it, but to have a doctor tell you odds or stats or survival rates of your kid makes you sick. If you would of said there is a 23% chance Kaylee might not get married, 2% chance she'll end up in a trailer in West Virginia, 52% chance she'll get divorced, I'd say alright, I'll take those stats or percents. But you can keep fatality, mortality, and survival rates to yourself. I don't want to be associated with those kinds of numbers. Not for me and especially not for my children.



I have to believe that God has a plan for us and we are on course for whatever that plan holds. I never thought it would involve Kaylee and cancer but who am I to question God's will. I just want Kaylee to get better and start on her mission in life.

Mission? Well if its living in a trailer in West Virginia we need to head east!

No comments: