Friday, August 17, 2018

Writing A Book Is A Tedious Process


Writing is a passion but trying to get published is hard work. Such hard work in fact that it makes you question whether to continue that pursuit or just consider it a hobby. You put your touch, your flavor, all over the pages with the power of your pen but to embark on the task of getting others on board to see your story published is crazy hard work. I have so much respect for those that work on their writing to take it to market. The sweat and tears are so personal that only someone that has taken on the task could only know.

They say that writing is a tough hobby to take on. It isn't for everyone but therapeutic if one does it and tackles more than a sentence or paragraph. I've been doing it for twenty-two years now and find it to be my calling. Since so many people dream of writing a book but very few ever will, I think that others find it hard to look at someone's work. It only reminds them that it may have or is on their bucket list but a hard one to cross off your list if you don't start with a written word. Hence, it's hard to get other people to critique your writings when it reminds them of their failures. Don't get me wrong, it's not the case with everyone. Certain people seem to love and are inspired by those chasing their dreams. Then there's always that other bunch who smile but painfully. 

I recommend that you find someone in your circle or someone that you can hire to look at your work as it moves along. Some other than a sibling or parent because you may not get the answers that you need. An impartial or neutral party is your best. If you don't have the funds to hire someone then find an old English teacher, friend or possible referral from a colleague. Hit up an old girlfriend or boyfriend, someone. I ask people I respect to look at it and share it with those people in their circle who may have the skill set to help me reach my dream. 

Writing takes patience. Getting it polished up takes skill. Getting it published takes a miracle. But if you love writing like I do it can take your brain to new heights and your love for words to new places. I tell everyone to write. It has saved my life before and I'm sure it'll save my life again. Do yourself a favor if you ever feel like stepping off a ledge on top of a big building. Grab a pencil and put your emotions to the side for just a night and write. Write so hard and passionately, the entire night, and see how you feel in the morning. If you still are dead set on stepping off a ledge, don't do it, but hopefully a night with your thoughts and a pencil will convince yourself that there's a story in you that needs to be told. Your words are true and only from you, so get out a pen or pencil, start today and begin writing away.          

No comments: