Saturday, July 26, 2014

When I Needed It Most

I was at KU Hospital all day yesterday with a friend who was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. I went with him to get a port installed in his chest for his upcoming chemotherapy treatments. He's 71 years old and a great man & great friend.
I haven't really been in a hospital since pulling my son off of life support over two years ago. Kaylee had her final visit  to Children"s Mercy Hospital a couple weeks ago but that was a joyous occasion. So I didn't get choked up like I normally do. Yesterday was a different day for me. I wasn't there as a parent, thank God, and I wasn't there for any special project other than being a friend. 
But I did get choked up with sadness once or twice yesterday. What choked me up was my friend"s fright. Fright of the cancer, fright of the surgery, the fright of the statistics that come with cancer. I teared up when he told me he was scared. He was scared of dying.
I could only think about how nobody wants to die. A child, a middle aged man, or a 71 year old man who feels he still has a life to live - no one. It broke my heart watching his eyes as the nurse went over all the paperwork for the surgery. You could tell it was all surreal for my friend and overwhelming. I hurt with him as well when they stuck his arm with the first needle.
I pray that he will be strong, healthy and happy. I hope someday that no one will ever have to fear sickness or death ever again. But most of all, I give thanks that my daughter is here today and that my prayers were answered when I needed it most.