Sunday, November 9, 2008

We succeeded on our part...


I am happy to announce that we successfully got Kerry's grandma here Thursday night. Her flight came in around 7:30 pm and the family was brought to tears when they saw her. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was. It was a conclusion to the countless hours of work we put in to get the family the support they needed at the hospital and at home.

"A Girls Night Out Limo" sent a car to pick up the family so they could meet grandma at the airport. Dan Stewart donated his time to drive the car for the family. None of the occupants had ever been in such a vehicle and it was special to see them get there in comfort and style. I was invited to ride but opted to follow in my car. I wanted them to be at ease and at peace.

We also started construction on their kitchen Thursday. To say I started the construction would be an absolute lie, I'm not engineered or skilled to do any kind of construction but found resources to help. Christina Jasso, who has become such an important part of the Magana family, got her husband to do the tile, plumbing, and electrical work. The Jasso's are awesome.

Laton Crane, the owner of Calloway Construction, was kind enough to hang the cabinets at the last minute for me. Ed Woods, an electrician and parent of a cancer survivor, has also agreed to go to the house to hang new lighting fixtures. We just need a person to glue the granite tops and cut a hole for the kitchen sink in the granite. So if any of you know anyone who does that kind of work please let me know. My Thursday was very busy. I rounded up construction crews, gave a speech, and ended my day at the airport. It was one of the most fulfilling days I've ever had.

The kindness from everyone has been rewarding to me. It has renewed my faith in other people. Seriously, I have to say that I would have probably not noticed the kind acts nor would I participate in such kindness if not for the sickness. I feel comfortable to say that I was self absorbed before this illness. In the past I would have given you a ride to the hospital if you needed it but would have driven off at the first opportunity. Today I'd walk you in, wait with you, and make you comfortable! Things have a way of changing you.

I titled this "We succeeded in our part..." now it's left in God's hands. Say a prayer for this tough child.

No comments: