Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Love...

I give the opening speech tomorrow at the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's National Leadership Conference. There are several hundred people expected to attend and I'm a little nervous. I was going to give a speech about this sickness but I think I'm going to talk about something more dear to me. My new found appreciation for love. That's right, I'm going to talk about love. How I've found renewed love for family, friends, and community since this illness. I figured I could tell everyone about how I advocate for children, work with government officials, donate cars, and insure children without insurance but they probably hear that same thing in every city they attend. I'm going to go deeper than that. I hope I can pull it off.

I am so honored that someone thought of me when they thought of potential speakers for the conference. It is a little scary when I think of the numbers but I'll be fine. I hope I can get these people to fall in love with their families, their work, and lives again. I hope no one ever has to get there by way of sickness!

I was reading my writings from Christmas night and I was so appreciative and comfortable that night that I wrote a speech and swore I would read it if I ever found the stage big enough. I am not going to read it but I want to express that comfort that derived from my love. It was magical my friends. It was the best night I've ever had. Serious. I was at home with my family and we relaxed and recovered from an exhausting hospital stay. We had narrowly escaped the hospital the day before. The relief that came with our beds and the comfort of our own surroundings was incredibly sweet. I can't begin to explain it. If I hadn't experienced the sickness I bet that appreciation might not have been there. I might have chalked it down as relief that the hectic holiday season was concluding. This particular night had me thanking God that I was able to be with my family - warm, full, and comfy.

No comments: