Wednesday, October 15, 2008

One last Slim Jim...

Today we had to put our beautiful dog to sleep. He was so sick and in pain that we moved the procedure up a day. I stayed up last night until 4:00 am with him because he couldn't get comfortable. His body and spirit went on a major decline since this last weekend. It was tough to watch.

I had to be a CMH this morning at 10 am and we did our thing there. Kaylee had some tough chemo and a hurtful spinal tap. I left CMH somewhere around 3 pm so I could decide what my plan was going to be with Garth. Christian stayed home from school today so he could spend some time with his dog. It was really hard for Christian. But after watching the dog shake uncontrollably he too thought we should end his pain immediately.


It was around 5:30 when he went to sleep. I thought I was going to have to do it alone but Christian said he wanted to be there with Garth. So we waited for Kaylee & Tammie to get home. Kaylee wanted to see him off before we headed to the vet. She has so much going on with her health and her recovery that her view on health issues with the dog is a little less sympathetic then maybe Christian's. When Kaylee arrived home she had an Arby's Roast Beef sandwich for Garth. After he ate that, me and Bubba took Garth through the bank drive-thru to get some of the doggie biscuits they give out. We then proceeded to Quiktrip for one last Slim Jim for the big guy. It was all sad but comforting knowing that we gave him a great last meal.


We cried on the way there but pulled it together when we got in. The wait was somewhere around 30 min. before we were called in. The receptionist kindly informed me when we checked in that Laura Horseman, a great friend of Tammie and me since high school had paid for the procedure. Laura is an animal lover, animal advocate, and animal trainer that knew the condition of our dog and wanted the suffering to end. We have never had to do this before and Laura wanted to make it as easy for us as possible. We thank you Laura for thinking about our family and your generousity was greatly appreciated.
Christian was told he could wait outside but he told the Dr. he wanted to be there. Garth was always afraid of the vet and being left there so I regret that I took his collar off right before the procedure. He looked at me with confusion. I wish I wouldn't have done that. They sedated him and he was very calm. I held him and kissed him and told him how much I loved him. Christian looked the other way until the Dr. told him to come and say goodbye. Garth was very still but when Christian walked up he made eye contact with Christian and that was it. We said our goodbyes and left. Christian wanted me to hold him like he was a little kid again. He wanted the security of his father's hug! Well I gave it to him and he unknowingly returned the love to me by holding me too. I was sad and hurting as much as anyone. The most touching thing for me was that Christian traveled with me so I wouldn't have to do it alone. He is such a kind hearted person. Even though this appointment was the most painful thing he has ever had to do, he went to make sure I was OK! Garth was the best dog any family could ever have. Thank you Garth for watching over my family, I love you.

No comments: