Sunday, July 20, 2008

Angels, Curves, and Potholes...

If there was any reason why my family had to be struck with cancer, childhood cancer, I would suspect that it was for me to do something good with it. At first I thought that I had done something terrible to deserve such a diagnosis. My child was paying for something I may have done. I went over every scenario and came to the realization that God doesn't give you more than you can handle and he certainly wouldn't have a child endure this pain for the sins of her father.

Friday I traveled to Children's Mercy to get some documents from Kerry Magana's mother. As I sat with her mother I asked her if she ever wonders why God would do something like this to us. She looked at me and said her faith was still in place and she believes that God has delivered her angels. He has put sorrow and hard times at their door but also supplied people like me to help in her journey. People like me?

Claudia explained that we have seen each other over the coarse of a year but never really talked. She explained to me that the last time we saw each other she needed someone and it happened to be me that appeared. That particular day as we talked and held each other as our daughter's lay unconscious getting their treatments, her home was being burglarized. She obviously didn't know it at the time but got through it later that day knowing that I had joined in on her fight with this sickness and paper work needed to get her mother here. Our conversation and my commitment to her and her family helped ease her pain. So was it a coincidence that we happened to land at the same hospital with the same diagnosis? I can't answer that but I do know that I have a voice and strength for both little girls and I intend on using it to help in our fight to recovery.

I'm aware that I can't save the world, just as I'm aware that I can't fix every pothole in the country. But this situation, this little girl has crossed paths with me and I'm determined to lend my hand. I ask you to do the same. It was normal for me a year ago to hear the sad story and for me to tune it out. Well it has occurred to me that things don't happen by mistake. My kid got sick. I had to learn to live with the fact that our surroundings such as the hospital presents death. We hear about it, we see it, and we fear it. Is it coincidence that I'm writing about it and your reading about it? Maybe one of you are supposed to help Kerry Magana. Maybe through a chain of events it was destined for you to be touched by my story, by these children's stories. I believe everything happens for a reason.

I'm going to put together a letter I hope each of you will copy, paste, and sign and resend to me so I can forward it on to the Embassy in Honduras. This little girl needs a voice. A nurse told me,"You can't expect every parent whose kid gets struck with cancer to be as a caring as you and me." I'm sure it was supposed to be a compliment but I then realized she was talking about Kerry's mom Claudia. She minimized this poor woman's lack of communication, tough economic hardship, and support as non-caring. Well let me tell you something. If I was still in Los Angeles, a single dad, with 2 other mouths besides Kaylee to feed I'm not sure I could do it. Oh, throw in I couldn't speak English well, little or no job skills, and no family or support system. Would all that adversity discount my love for Kaylee? Not at all.

We are given a certain path/road. Some of these roads will be scattered with potholes and blind curves but it is essential to know that hope, faith, and an occasional angel will help guide you through the toughest terrian and on to a smoother coarse.

No comments: