Thursday, June 12, 2008

St. Louis for the day...

Kaylee and I went to St. Louis for the day yesterday. We drove up there and stayed at a hotel in the downtown area. I suggested the trip on Tuesday and Kaylee quickly agreed. It was only us two that made the trip. We arrived back home today around 3:00 PM. Our entertainment was limited because Kaylee has a hurt leg. Her ankle is swollen and she can barely walk today. I think I am taking her to CMH tomorrow to have it X-rayed. We have been told that steroids and chemo can make the bones brittle.

Our intentions originally were to go to Six Flags. We determined that we wouldn't be able to walk long enough to enjoy the outing. We made the decision to go ahead with the trip just to relax and it would also give Kaylee some drive time on the open highway. I booked a room at the Millennium Hotel. I wish I could give raving reviews but the room was very small. The key worked only after 5 to 10 minutes of concentration. The room was categorized as a contemporary setting and it was. It was so hip that it was uncomfortable. Lighting in the room was horrible and light switches were hidden. The restaurant we looked forward to eating at was booked solid for the night. The taxi driver tried charging us $10.00 for a four block ride.


The time with Kaylee in a new city was priceless. We stopped off in Columbia, MO to see where everything unfolded last year. The diagnosis was almost a year exactly, well 10 days shy. Our first stop was at the hotel. I felt so emotional pulling back into town. The same front desk guy was there. He remembered me easily. I told him how thankful we were for his kindness and generosity last year. It was nice to tell them Kaylee was doing better.


Our next stop was University Hospital. Dr. Tran was our doctor who diagnosed Kay. We told the front desk we wanted to see the doctor and why. I could tell she knew our moment was pretty special. To our excitement Dr. Tran was working. So we were taken back and waited about 15 minutes for the doctor. I can't explain how good it felt being able to sit in that Urgent Care room with my daughter, to say thank you.


Dr. Tran came in and he remembered us. He gave us both a hug and a smile. He told us he often thought what happened to Kaylee. We said we were here and getting our health back. We talked for 45 minutes and then Dr. Tran walked us to our car. It was a good time. I think Kaylee and I both got something out of the trip. I only wish I had taken a picture with the doctor. Next time.


When we arrived in St. Louis we ate at Jack in the Box. We love those tacos. We haven't had Jack in the Box since we left Los Angeles. It was nice. Our night was easy. We went shopping downtown for some new things for Kaylee. We arrived back to the hotel and ate dinner in the cafe. We ended up back in the room and watched a movie. It was relaxing.


Today we did the Arch Tour. It was the first time for me and it was impressive. I'm sure Kaylee enjoyed it too. I realized something today. It is not completely enjoyable for me being somewhere without my whole family. I enjoyed spending time with Kaylee but I missed Christian and Tammie. Traveling without the whole team makes it incomplete. Next time!


Well I thought I'd share our day. Have fun and enjoy your family!

No comments: