Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Chapter 3: Do You Get It?


I have started trying to write based on stuff other then Kay's health. I find it difficult to do because when I want to vent it usually is when things get to me. When I'm not bothered or down I go on with my day. I smile as always and find no need to release anything. Today I'm writing from the hip. It was easier when it dealt with nothing but Kaylee and obstacles.


I'm getting something from all of this. I've been humbled, I've been slowed, I've been educated. I have surrendered to the fact that no matter how great things go that it is the pain and suffering that has made me appreciate and has become my blessing at personal growth. I do not write to please other people or to broadcast for no purpose, which could be debated if you say why share your life. I do it because it is getting me through. I have been humbled to the core. It's like I see differently now.


So I ask you, "do you get it?" I'm a guy that may have been ready for confrontation months ago, but not today. I want to clean the slate and move forward with bad things in the rear view mirror. If I was selfish or one-sided months ago I apologize. I did not know what I know now. Everything is about family, friends, and the goodness that comes with being a contributor in the community. Your community might be that of just your family. It could be the Rotary Club, or the contribution or volunteer work you do at the church. Those I mentioned may not have any relevance to you. It might be your contribution or investment to attend everyone of your child's baseball practices or maybe you make it a point to wear your child's team sponsored t-shirt at every event he or she participates in. It doesn't matter, but to me it does matter that you have something to be part of.


I see so many people do just the minimal amount to get by. They get so consumed in business matters or their own personal habits and they find little time to step out of the comfort zone and see what else there is. I must tell you that having a little girl, I call my daughter, go through events that deal with issues way beyond her years has made me realize that certain comfort zones can be cracked or broken and you're left in confusion. Although I've had to work my way through it with no blueprint, I feel like I have grown tremendously from these trying days.


Please find your way if you have obstacles or hurdles in your life. Stretch before you run, and time your strides, because if you should ever get in a race that deals with health or life, it is most important that you pace yourself and complete the course you've been given!

No comments: