Friday, March 21, 2008

The story behind 10 Kids Insured...

I officially started my non-profit "10 Kids Insured" on January 16,2008 in the state of Missouri. I have a 501 (c) 3 application pending. I'm not sure about the wording on all that but the attorney does. I am providing health care insurance to children who are lacking coverage. I am providing children an opportunity at health. (I like that phrase, I think I'll use that somewhere in the literature.) I announced the idea on December 21, 2007 as a gift to families to mark the six month anniversary of Kaylee and her battle against cancer. For those that don't know about Kaylee, she is my beautiful fifteen year-old daughter who was diagnosed with leukemia (A.L.L.) on June 21, 2007.

I had the idea for sometime but I wasn't sure how I would raise the money for such an endeavor. I decided to use my business as a tool to generate money for the cause. I own a unique company in Kansas City called InAd TV. InAd TV is a digital signage company in Kansas City that specializes in restroom installations. We place TV's above urinals and in vanity mirrors. My network consists of 100 LCD screens covering the Metro area. My business is to install the system then have sales teams sell the advertising on the screens. We always have excess commercial time and I thought that I could turn that unsold air time into insurance premium money for the kids. Sounds good.

The problem with that is I will have to wait to get it all lined out and then reconsider, toss it around, and find reasons not to do it. I decided to do it differently. I would find the money for the kids. I just needed the kids. Low and behold I received a phone call. There is a group of girls in the city that want to play a sport but they can't because they don't have health insurance. I guess there's a rule requiring coverage. The insurance broker got wind of it and called me. I thought about it for a second and thought, "I can handle that!"

Providing insurance to kids that want to play sports is a perfect fit for us. My daughter, a cheerleader, has been sidelined and bedridden for nine months. She has not been able to participate in any activities this year. She has not stepped into one classroom. Hasn't had a chance to sit in her favorite chair at lunch. These fifteen girls can make it up for Kaylee. They can play for Kay. I am going to stay tight lipped about the organization I'm helping until it is finalized.

I told family and friends about my mission and the connection with Kaylee and everyone threw in money. I raised money this first round from people who want to help me help the kids. I'm amazed by the generosity of people. I get to launch my first kids in honor of Kaylee, Fifteen girls who want to play on a team. Maybe one of these kids will meet her best friend, Maybe it will keep a child busy and she won't get into trouble because she'll be at practice. Maybe one of these girls will find that she has so much talent and maybe just maybe this kid will get a scholarship because her talent is noticed.

The insurance issue is a touchy one for me. I want kids to be able to go to the doctor when they are sick. Waiting in the emergency room at Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO is torturous. It takes hours to get in and the treatment is brisk due to the volume of patients. I'm sure being able to see a doctor on your own appointment terms will be a luxury to any of these kids. The hospital is a life saver to many, but an all day event to say the least.

As much support as I've had, I've also had to deal with negativity and mixed emotions. I look at this as an opportunity to help kids live healthy lives, provide peace of mind to parents, and a way for me to give it back to the community. Some people have told me to wait and search for the right kids. What? If your child has no insurance and I can help, and all other options have been exhausted then you're my candidate. I'm convinced that if you don't chase your dream or implement your plan you'll wake up one day with regret. I don't want any regret in my life or my family's life.

No comments: