Friday, March 28, 2008

Chapter 2: Small Investments

I asked a friend today if he thought I was doing a good job with my kids. I respect this friend and he knows me well. Honesty seems to come easy when he talks with me. For better or for worse. I asked because it seems sometimes that I get consumed with the day to day operations of the family and forget to step back and watch. Are my children healthy? Do they respect life? Are they happy?

I know that I'm here, with this family, that was created out of love for a reason. I drive through my old neighborhood and think how lucky I am to have made it out. There are many people I grew up with that never made it out of that neighborhood. I'm not condemning them but a majority of those that stayed ended up in prison, dead, or repeating the cycle of dysfunction that they were subject to. That wasn't for me.

I was lucky. As a child I always had family or people around that invested in me. My Aunt Connie DeLaGarza was one of the first. Besides being my Aunt she was also my Godmother. This woman taught me so much in my early years. When my mom worked double shifts on the weekend my Aunt took care of me. She wouldn't allow gossiping or bad mouthing in her home. If my mom came after work on Sunday to get me, Aunt Connie would make sure that I was showered, packed, and ready for bed. This was done because she knew that my mom would be tired after working all weekend. I remember watching the Sunday Night Disney Special waiting for my mother to arrive. Aunt Connie would have Q-Tips in my ears cleaning them out. I often prayed that my mom would arrive sooner then later because Aunt Connie didn't have the softest touch. But her touch had love.

I drifted away from my Aunt as I grew older. But that investment came again. It was from the next door neighbors. Tony Carr was six years older. His mother was Mary Stanhope and his father was Stan Stanhope. Stan was Tony's step dad but you'd never know. He raised Tony from a child. We happened to move in the neighborhood and our neighbors were the best. Tony was like a big brother. Mary & Stan were good examples on all levels. All this right next door. I say that because we had a variety of people in that Kansas City, KS neighborhood that we could have been positioned with. Alcoholics, drug users, pushers, and criminals. We got Tony and his family.

Tony's family worked and they had a good life. They had a camper trailer in the back yard that we often slept in for fun. Tony had motorcycles that he raced. Suzuki RM-125's. I would go to the races on the weekend and watch Tony. To describe one incident or occasion to define their investment would be impossible, it was a constant and I thank them for the positive environment they created around me and for me.

The last memorable investment or influence was Dr. Frank Jones & Beverly Jones. They were the parents of my best friend Nick Jones. Their address was 5600 High Drive in Mission Hills, KS. I became friends with Nick in 1976. Our introduction was made at St. Agnes Catholic School in Roeland Park, KS. We became best friends instantly and have remained best friends ever since.

Nick's family exposed me to a different way of life. They had materialistic things and it made me want. They lived a rich lifestyle because Frank was a Doctor but more importantly he was a money making machine. He had property, restaurants, businesses, and respect. He was the man. I got to vacation with them at their house at the Lake of the Ozarks and Siesta Keys Florida. I also traveled other places with the family. Those experiences helped create something in me that wanted. I wanted to be successful like Doc!

So I encourage you to invest. Invest in a nephew, neighbor, or someone that could use that influence or attention. It is easy to do just what's expected but sometimes when you reach out a little further it can be just enough to steer someone in the right direction.

No comments: