Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chapter 1: The Definition of a Man

What defines a person? Is it your past? Is it your family? Is it your faith? I am confused to be honest. I try to stimulate myself with direction. It's doing things differently from most others. I've always been that way. As a child I used to pick these tulip things out of the ground and try to sell them off as onions. When I was older I use to make bracelets and necklaces out of beads, trying to make a buck or two with my designs. There was always something I could make a dollar off of. Today it's InAd TV.

I must confess that I am a dreamer. I have this thing inside me that wants to carve out this little existence for me and my family. I want to succeed on my own terms. It's my dreams that I work for every day. But at what cost? How simple would it be to get on someone else's payroll? Put the hustle away and get up every morning and have my day planned. Work for a wage. It sounds simple but it's not me.

Tonight is the start of something new for me. I am going to document me. My day, my life, and my future. The Kaylee writings are going to have to stop for now. She needs her room and she needs to get back at being a teenager. Private and personal. She wants to move forward and I don't blame her. I'm not done working my way through this so I am going to continue. I'm going to share my story.

I ask what defines you for a reason. It was always set in my mind that I would define myself by the things I was going to do. Build great things and receive those cheers. There was no doubt that I would make the next light bulb, engine, or computer. Seriously. I believed that I could do anything. I still do but it has occurred to me that there are several things that have to align for greatness. Harmony at home, hard work, and luck just to name a few.

My definitions have changed. Accomplishments have fallen down the list. In all reality, for me to succeed financially at my own thing demands a certain amount of wow. I'm at the mercy if you want my widget. Without the demand of your product is like sailing without wind. You don't! Family is more important than ever and happiness is a must. Accomplishments have moved to the back seat. But being healthy at work or whatever you do is a must. I have to feed the family and if that was to stop then we would have all sorts of problems.

Harmony is a component of a happy man and to me that is what I would define a man by. Happiness. You have to be happy. It might sound crazy but to me a happy man is a satisfied man. To be satisfied is what I would define a man on. Satisfaction breeds health. To be truly satisfied in all aspects of your life would be a dream. So if I get to dream for a moment then my dream would be a life of complete satisfaction. Impossible maybe, potentially boring-probably, but it sounds simple and good to me tonight. Happiness!

No comments: