Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kaylee and Chemo

Kaylee is at the hospital getting chemo today. It is an all day affair. She wore her comfy pajama bottoms and slippers. It is a home away from home, sort of. I would have never guessed that we would be regulars in the HemOc clinic.

I was looking a pictures from my birthday last year and thought how healthy we all looked. This year will be different because it seems a new life has started for us. Post cancer days. We were at Houston's on the Plaza last year and the dinner included my family, my sister's, and my sister Kim and Nick Vega. We did one last photo before we left the table and it was a good one. Everyone was surrounding me and it looked like they were there for me. All the kids had their arms around my shoulders. This picture means so much because it reminds me of one of those pictures you'll look at in the future and go "wow, that was a long time ago." The kids look young and us parents look like - parents. Pictures are great.

If anyone knows their school nurse and would like to inform them about a seminar the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is putting together that educates them on the signs of cancer, the methods of handling such incidents, and the effects of having kids going through treatment, feel free to pass the number along. The person in charge is Micka and she can be reached at 913.262.1515 and those who attend get educational credits. More importantly it is so comforting to know that there is someone at your school who might be able to look past what most of us would think is just the flu and catch something like leukemia or any other cancer. Please consider passing the info, another set of eyes and any education that might help our children is big in my book!

No comments: