Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Normal Night...

I'm watching the Kansas Jayhawks play in the Orange bowl tonight. It is 8:39 PM and me and Kaylee are going to the movies at 9:20 tonight. Our movie is going to be Juno. I love going to the movies and this one will be exceptionally special since Kay hasn't been able to attend a showing due to her low immune system. We are gambling that no one will be in the theatre because it is a week night, late, and KU Football is taking place.

We have to be cautious about our surroundings daily. This outing is a start to the good times that lay ahead of us. It is especially special to me because I've been Kaylee's movie partner since her first movie experience. That first movie was Lion King in 1993 or '94. I remember it was at the theatre's located at Midland & 435. We made it only half way through due to the loudness. Although it was incomplete, it was the beginning of a date that has lasted over a dozen years.

We did it! The movie was good and the theatre was empty. We had us some popcorn, nachos, and a couple drinks. I was touched by the experience. I was honored to be there next to my baby girl who deserves to have as much movie time as any other fifteen year old. Boy is it easy to take life's simple pleasures for granted. We sat in the front of the theatre and enjoyed our movie. Kaylee picked her seat out and we had a wonderful Daddy Daughter night. There wasn't a place I'd rather be but next to this child who has waited six long months to attend a screening.

Parenting is a honor. Kaylee didn't ask if I wanted to go, she advised me that we would be attending the 9:20 screening of Juno. I never blinked or batted an eye. She knew that I wouldn't and that made me feel great. The night was good for me mentally as it was for her too. I let everything go- finances, work, and worrying. It was all about Kaylee and that's what I really needed. A normal night with a normal fifteen year old.

No comments: