Thursday, December 13, 2007

Run Forrest...


Thank you Wendy Padgett for this quote. I had to make a decision tonight on a business deal and this quote was waiting for me in my inbox. I've struggled to make my business survive. I invented a box that lets me install expensive TV's in unsupervised locations like the restrooms. I install TV's in mirrors and I play my own TV channel in successful restaurants and high traffic locations. I've sacrificed and my family has sacrificed. My children and Tammie have let me follow my dream. I put my dream on them and they've had faith in me. There's been times that I've questioned my decisions and had to hide it because if I didn't it would be like that scene in Forrest Gump when he stops running across the country. Everyone would say "Where you going?" Well I'm not stopping. I will fight through lean times, sickness, and confusion. I am doing something no one else has done in Kansas City. Not my Dad, my Grandfather, or my neighbor. I've done something no one else has. How many times do you get to say that?


There is something that I won't tolerate any more. I will not spend one more minute in a room with guys who try to belittle me in hopes of gaining an edge. This happens often these days. I have people who want to get involved with me because I have a goldmine at my door and they figure if they discount me and my business they might sneak in the door with me. They act like they are my buddy but laugh at me because they wear fancy suites and expensive jewelry. I'm in jeans and have a $40.00 Timex. The sad thing is, they usually accomplish their goal. But not anymore. I'm a father, husband, son, brother, uncle, cousin, and friend. I'm going to take pride in my accomplishments and I'm going to have dignity in all my actions. I refuse to fall for the games people play.



I made a decision tonight that others might not understand. I can't get into details because of Non-Disclosures and other paper work but I'll sleep fine for the first time in weeks/months. I passed on a deal that others work a life time for. But there are no short cuts or leaps. I have to have faith in myself and faith in my gut. I know when things smell bad and I've always had the ability to see around the corner. As important as security is for me at these times, I have to take a stand, a position based off of street smarts and experience. I have skills that aren't learned in classrooms. I have a sense of uniqueness that makes me Michael Anthony Quijas. I am me, like it or leave it.


Another step forward


It is not very realistic to expect that you'll go from where you are now to where you want to be in one quick leap. The most reliable and lasting progress is made one step at a time.

Welcome each step as you take it and reach it. Even though you're not all the way there just yet, you're moving steadily forward. Value and appreciate the progress you've made, then continue moving on. The next step forward awaits you, and with it you'll move even closer.The reward you seek at the end of the path is given value by every step of the journey. Each moment spent is time well spent when you're moving steadily forward, even if you still have a way to go.Some steps may be tedious, or complicated, difficult, challenging or uncomfortable. Yet they are all moving you surely toward the place you want to be.


Ralph Marston

No comments: