Saturday, December 1, 2007

Lanie's Cure...Rachel's Mom


I attended a funeral last night. It was Elaine Margaret Cropper's funeral. A dear friend and mother of Rachel Rand Boyce, an old girlfriend and one of my best friends. I took it hard because I love Elaine and have so many great memories of her. I also have a history with the family and their hurt made me hurt.

Elaine and Kaylee have had a certain bond since Kaylee was born. Besides their battle with cancer, we had Kay's Baby Shower at Elaine's home fifteen years ago. When Rachel use to watch Kaylee it was common that they would go to Elaine and Stewart's home for lunch or dinner. This bond was apparent when Elaine found out that Kay was diagnosed with cancer. Elaine gave Kaylee her stuffed animal that represented her fight and her comfort during her battle. I wasn't the one to tell Elaine about Kay's cancer but I can see Elaine's face. The hurt. The hurt that Elaine would have felt makes me sad. If you knew Elaine, anything but that signature smile would break your heart.

Well enough about Kaylee. It's going to be about me for a moment. I want to share a story or two with you. When I was sixteen, Rachel introduced me to her mother. Well it was a moment I remember well because I have scars from so many similar introductions. I lived off a street in Kansas City, Ks that was notorious for crime and bad people. An unfair observation but a reality for me. The street was called Southwest Boulevard and the intros usually were the same. I'd give my salutation and then a parent would say "So where do you live?" I would say in KCKS. That was a red flag. This city was in a county that wasn't in our school district. I was a violator of the school boundary restrictions. I would reply, "Rosedale or Southwest Blvd." This answer would immediately draw suspicion and usually discrimination. Well not Elaine, she immediately said "Oh, I've been to the drive-in theatre on Southwest Blvd." Not an ounce of ugliness in her. There was no way that she would make a sixteen year old feel bad for where he came from. She wasn't going to judge me for something that was out of my control, like my house or neighborhood. That wasn't Elaine. Elaine had that thing that was beautiful. She was the type that would rally for you before she was going to judge you.

I'd like to share another story with you. One night I was at Rachel's and I had driven my mom's car. This car was a Le Car, made by Renault (see picture above). It was a very tiny car and a stick shift vehicle. I arrived and jumped out of the car. During my rush I must have left the car out of gear and didn't notice. Elaine was gone when I arrived, but came home shortly. When she came in she asked "Why is your car in the neighbors yard?" Not mad or uptight. I looked out the window and sure enough, my Le Car was smack in the middle of the neighbors yard. Elaine didn't say "hurry and get it." She laughed and made fun of me. There wasn't a neighbor or a person that was going to interrupt the trouble she was going to give me. Why sweat the small stuff!

I could go on and on, but just one more. When Elaine found out about Kaylee and the cancer, and the benefit we were planning, she got into gear and started hitting the phones and the street to make sure the benefit had donated goods & contributions to make it a worth while event. Even though her plate was full with her sickness and her fight was at the door, she wanted to help Kaylee. And she did just that. Her baskets and gift certificates made the event. We thank you Elaine.

So in short, I could write a book about Elaine. My book would be called "Elaine and that Smile" If you knew Elaine Margaret Cropper then you know what I mean. She had a smile and kindness that will be missed! I love you Elaine.

No comments: