Tuesday, October 16, 2007

We Decide Our Worth...


What is the worth of my family? What is the worth of your family? Priceless, the answer to both questions. But what does your family really amount too? I had a father tell me that a child was rejected for a bone marrow transplant at Children's Mercy Hospital because they had exhausted their insurance annual spending limit. The family was traveling across the country for the transplant. A hospital had accepted them.


They were denied the procedure. A procedure that would save their child and they were denied...????? Someone can dictate the course, the life, and health of a child- a family. Scary.


So if your insurance is better then mine or your bank account is heavier should that be the deciding factor on who gets treated and who doesn't? My insurance has a capp on it. I'm so confused and ignorant about insurance that it scares me and I haven't educated myself. What if someone didn't have insurance. We lucked out, because I went months without insurance. I assumed we would be fine, just off of past experience. We never had a broken leg, or a hospital stay. We would be fine. Well something told me not to gamble the health and well being of my family off past experiences so I got insurance. In April 2007, and on June 21, 2007 we got punched in the eye with Leukemia. Lucky.


I have always lucked out. I just want to keep being lucky. So I can tell you that my family is worth any and every bit of a Rockefeller , a Gates, or a Getty. That comes straight from the appraiser, the captain, and the guy who determines my family worth. Co-pays, capps, or coverage isn't going to mark down the the value of my first days of school, anticipated birthdays, and family dinners around the table. So please understand I will write books, draw pictures, or sing songs if I have to raise a dollar or two, my kids will not do without! I'm Dad.

No comments: