Sunday, September 23, 2007

Risky...


I had my bags packed last night as I waited for Kaylee's temperature to rise .5 degrees. I was ready to move into action but the enemy retreated and we didn't have to go to the hospital. Kay's temps went down almost the minute mom came home. Tammie got here at 12:30 and it rapidly dropped from there. You Super Hero!


It goes to show I'm not the Florence Nightingale of the family. I do take pride in that I'm the fun one. If you want to go to a ball game, a concert, or have to plan a party then come and see dad. A cough, a fever, or leukemia you might want to see mom. But its the balance and roles played within the family that makes it a well oiled machine.
Tammie said Kaylee's lucky that she doesn't have to battle the night time alone. Night time? Well it dawned on me this morning she's right. The darkest time of the day is night. Confused? Well let me explain. The hardest and loneliness time is when you go to bed. You lay there and think. Maybe not for all, but I can testify to this fact.
Right now I'm battling insomnia. I got to bed at 4:00 am almost nightly, and wake at 8:00. I usually wake at 8:17. I swear its true. I'll look at the clock and its 8:17. How painful is it to be working on four hours of sleep per night. But anyhoo, it means Kaylee knows I'm up when she is. We sometimes will go for a late night QT run. We've had movie night on a week night until 3:00 am. So I'll wait out the night with her. I usually last longer then she does, so she has a partner for the night.
Thursday I went in and told her at 12:30 am that she's going to have a hard time adjusting once she can go back to school. She looked at me and said "I wish I could go to school." I said its only a matter of time. I look forward to taking her to school. Last year I dropped her off every morning at 7:15. This year, I find it hard to drive down Ward Rd. towards Lee's Summit West during school hours. I took it for granted last year, I even looked at it as an inconveinence. I couldn't believe she was too cool to ride the bus. She won the battle and I drove the car. 7:15.
I would do anything to make that drive. Last year was her first year of High School and we couldn't do certain things. Well I couldn't. No singing, no kissing, and I had to wear a hat. No kidding! We were not going to draw any kind of attention. But looking back now it's clear, she just wanted to fit in. How important and critical is that? Just fit in. Now she has her parents on the Titan TV Show, the kids in the stands chanting K-A-Y-L-E-E, and her principle talking with Dad. Lets just fit in.

No comments: