Saturday, October 20, 2018

You The Man Cristofani...



Jimmy Cristofani is undoubtedly a great man. He cuts the grass at the food pantry for free, every week for the past 8 years, that guy. Mild manner all the way, but I dare you to yell today or tomorrow, “You The Man - Jimmy C!”

He’ll waste no time, heed my warning. “You got it all wrong, I ain't the MAN, that title belongs to the late, and the so, so, great Jackie C., he be that man, The Man!” Like a rubber band rearing back for another snap, he’ll tell you, “ I’m proud to say he was my friend, it’s true, I’m standing a little taller and I’ve acquired a holler, it’s just excitement you see, and such an honor, because The Man was my father. A teacher too many, some called a scholar, if you have just a minute I’ll tell you his story.”

You see, Jackie C. was once a proud student, educated in those there buildings, at SJU, St. John’s University, the place he held highest, all through his life, he held in high regard, that when he arrived, he was just a boy but as he would say, when that man left, he didn’t know it all but SJU taught him a lot, so when he was rounding third base, the last semester of class, the prize was at his fingers, given the chance he’d do it again. It made no difference, he was heading to home plate, just a few more hours of classes, he’d be at home plate, the first Cristofani to graduate. Happy and proud, Jack C. thought of others, mainly his mama and papa, they’d should be so proud, their little boy would have so many opportunities in life and work, destiny, so it seemed.

Where was I at, this story makes me cry, here it is. Educated at SJU like I said, Go Red Storm, once more, a great institution, that place he called home changed his life, in his presence, if word was spoken of his school, some say he grew taller in front of your eyes, he once was measured to see if the rumor true, the results weren’t posted, were not certain, if the NDA had yet been invented, what is certain is that Jackie C. wore his ring proudly, he found that his at SJU profoundly changed his life, for the better for certain no question about it. It wasn’t til later that he shared; it wasn’t in his stars, that certain degree. Such a regret, he later would admit, it wasn’t “why” he didn’t get it, he had peace with that, “how” was that not possible, just hours away, but that’s enough of that, he would always say.

His dad suddenly passed away, just before his runner tagged the bag at home. But before he went, he had but only a whisper, one breathe left, please make me a promise, my dear son, you'll look after your mother and teach your brother too, just as I did you, and without hesitation nor refrain, without any doubt, he gave his response, very loud, like a man who was ready to run a house, his house. I got this papa, without a doubt, I'll look out, I'll do the right thing, I'll never forsake. I say this to you, so you get rest, is this is not true? My name, John Louis Cristofani, I stake this claim, a name we both carry, from this day on, I will live life the best, and when tough decisions arrive, If I should be put to the test, no matter who's watching, no matter who's not, I know the difference from right and from the wrong, you were my teacher, who taught me so much, on top of it all, you loved us so much, my promise to you, I'll make you so proud, I will do the right things, you’ll never be let down. Papa, if you find yourself prideful, because I do right, I ask that you please stop. My name is Cristofani, just like you, our name and word, is all we have, be proud that I know, these two words and the value they hold, that’s where you should the proudest of all, because I listened to you, taught that poor decisions can be made, forgiven too, but when you lose the castle and the crown, the word and the name, life is but over, to never regain. Risk it all, I will never do, these two things so important to you. Our name and our world will never be tarnished not just today, but my whole life through.

And like he said, he did just that, he often thought of getting that degree just a few credits he could work them in, Jack C. weighed in his head, but by this time he was married to Miraim, his love of his life, over 30 years, and had 5 kids together they did, his school, a place he once called home would have to wait, St. John's will always be there he would say. He loved his family and his home, those kids a handful, and before he knew it, that job at Hackney & Son’s for 33 years, had turned him old. Those kids, John, Regina, Joseph and Jim where all in a row, a few years later that Tom arrived, more sprinkle to the eye, Jackie C. felt young and like a new man, as the years rolled by, being in the moment was his advice, being present to teach all he could, that degree made him take notice, nothing is promised and that includes tomorrow, it’s true, rounding third base, life is sometimes funny other times cruel, it’s can happen just like that, rounding third, and just like that, Jackie C. got sick. Soon after, the diagnosis was delivered, the ill was in his bones, I believe, they all prayed together, they were certain that dad, that strong man, could beat it, the whole town and community, all prayed for Jack, their Jack C. would get back to good. But as we all know, God has his plan, Jackie C., the man of all men, knew that too, he had to do the right thing, he fought for his family, but just for a minute, he was a man of honor, God had given his orders, so he slipped away, on 16th of December 2002. he was called home, heaven he went with his papa waiting right at the gate, looking at his son who hadn't aged a day, I never doubted you, my son. I'm so proud, how you lived like a man when just a boy, you tackled all the tough decisions, that life tossed at you, with reason and wisdom, and because of that we're giving you a title, a title so great and revealed with honor, it appears there's no contenders, but there is just one we need to consider, that boy of yours who goes by the name Jimmy C. but who’s to worry, our name held high with honor, it's my privilege, to say this to you, my name sake, my boy, and the one I adore, after this moment, from here on out, you're forever remembered, it’s all in God’s glory, regarded, and noted with a title in hand – a title that reads, “You before us, did the right thing and made all right choices, time and time again, you went from a boy, to a man, in just a minute, you that man - The Man - Jackie C.!


No comments: