Thursday, July 17, 2008

All Aboard...


A couple of months ago I gave a speech at CMSU for young entrepreneurs. I kept referring to my experience as a bus ride. You head out on your journey, your ride, and you have all sorts of people come along for the ride. Some people get off during the cruise and others stay on. There's some that matter more than others. But eventually everyone leaves.


If trying to make something out of nothing isn't hard enough, throw in emotional attachments that dissolve. It hurts. Well it has happened again. My right hand man, Ken, had to go. The direction my company has been going isn't or hasn't been right. I had to make a decision, a tough decision to go a different direction. It's like a relationship ending. The bus has pulled over and another passenger has to go.


Ken was such an important part of my business and important part of my family. He made sure that my business kept running while my daughter fought her sickness. He made it to appointments when I wasn't able to. He was the boss and I'm thankful. Unfortunately things run their course and change has to be made. My dreams are exactly that, my dreams. I have suffered for this dream, sacrificed for this dream, and have committed myself to this dream. I have to steer the course.


So I guess what I'm saying is that life is like a bus. People come and people go. Some stay longer then others but the majority all leave sooner or later. Everyone has a journey, or a road to take. The bottom line is that this is my bus - my life - and it has to make it down the road. The tires have to be aired, the engine has to be oiled, and the vehicle has to be fueled. Your destination is yours and you have to get to where you need to be internally, spiritually, and physically. I can not afford to get too attached to any outside influences or people that might slow me. I have to keep on keeping on. I enjoy company and welcome companionship but eventually everyone disappears. The one constant is me, my bus, and my map.

No comments: