Thursday, December 20, 2007

and in this Corner...


Kaylee is snoozing away and I'm bored so I'm going to write. Bailee Woods came by to visit Kaylee this afternoon. She was with her little sister, Ashley. We had the best talk. I tell you, I love that girl. She is wise and interesting. She gives me an angle on all of this, my child won't. I'm dad to Kaylee, so Kaylee treats me as such. Bailee talks to me honestly. Kaylee and I have an open relationship but she keeps quite about certain things. I'm not sure if she doesn't want to get emotional or maybe she doesn't want me to get emotional.

I want to tell you how much I admire my daughter. She is battling this and hasn't complained once. Her strong demeanor is that of a warrior. I have never heard her say why me. She has not openly cried, not once, about her situation. She often expressed concern for other people during her darkest days. I am proud to say Kay is mine. There are certain times that I look at Kaylee and remember memories from long ago that mirror today's strength.

When Kaylee was a young child she would ride a roller coaster and get scared. To get by she would shake her little head with her eyes closed and mumble to her self. I would listen to this mumble from time to time and I could hear her whispers. She would say " I'm going to be fine. I'm going to be fine. I'm going to be fine." Today I look at her and wonder if she ever resorted back to that chant when things weren't good.

I think the toughest part of this is not being able to wipe this out myself. I always figured there would be a day I would have to let Kay fend and defend herself when I'm not there. But I never thought it would happen until she left my care. I wanted her to have simple fights while she was under my roof. Boyfriends, certain decisions, and common coming of age dilemma's. This fight is like being in the corner as she fights 12 rounds of a title bout fight. She is fighting with no training. I'm spectating from a far and can't get in the ring to help with the jab or the knock out punch.

Bailee told me that she can see the light at the end of the tunnel. She said she can see both her and Kaylee's light. She told me that she feels like she is coming to a point where she can see her self healthy. So positive. I asked if she ever wonders why her. She said she often wonders why, but she thinks this has happened to her for the sake of helping others. She says that she has always liked to talk and that tool will help her educate others of cancer. Wow! In all the crap that she has to endure, she is thinking how she will help others.

It is my privilege to sit here with two incredibly brave young girls. The knowledge one can learn from this is a gift. I could spend a life time doing this or that but this education is priceless. I am blessed to be here. I am blessed and honored to be here at this moment in time. I could say why us, but in all reality it is a first hand experience that will take me and my family to a different level.

No comments: